A Ghanaian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document for Ghanaians who travel abroad. So if you’ve been wondering how to apply and renew your Ghanaian passport online, you’re at the right place.
FussGhana today will walk you through the nitty-gritty of procuring a Ghanaian passport.
The Ghanaian passport has a validity period of 10 years. The online passport application was introduced to ease the mode of the application while ensuring maximum security for applicants.
However, some Ghanaians are sceptical about the whole online application process. But, in this guide, I will show you how to apply for Ghana passport online in 2021 without having to go to the bank to buy a pin for the form. Not only that, but the Ghana passport online application is also integrated with Mobile Payment methods.
Ghana Passport Application Process 2022
Starting from 2019, the Government of Ghana has introduced the premium service for a passport to make the process even faster. So Ghana citizens can now download and fill the passport form here.
A fast-track application process known as the Premium Passport Processing Centre at the Accra Digital Centre (Contact: +233303978399 for directions) has been commissioned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
What is a Passport?
A passport is an official document issued by a government, certifying the holder’s identity and citizenship and entitling them to travel under its protection to and from foreign countries. Hence without a passport, it is almost impossible to travel between Countries and or Jurisdictions.
Passports are small booklets that typically contain the bearer’s name, place of birth, date of birth, the date of issue, date of expiry, passport number, photo, and signature
How to Apply for Ghana Passport
Basically, there are two ways to apply for a Ghanaian passport. Online and offline options are available. Previously, the Ghana passport application procedure was entirely paper-based.
The process of applying for a passport in person in Ghana was time consuming, and difficult to grasp the criteria. In addition, there are long queues at passport application centers as a result of this procedure.
It is worthy of note that the new Ghana passport application process is not wholly online. After completing the online part of the application, you would also book an appointment with the application centre in Accra to complete the process.
How to Apply for a Ghanaian Passport Online
It is simple to apply. You can kick-start the process on the Ministry of Information Website by visiting: https://passport.mfa.gov.gh
Types of Ghanaian Passport Application and their Prices
Applicants may apply in one of two ways and the first is the “Express” application we may incur more money. However if you prefer an easier choice you can choose the second, “Standard” application, which takes a little longer. A 32-page or 48-page book is included with each of these applications.
Here is how much it costs to get a passport in Ghana:
|Application Type||Booklet Pages||Price (GHS)|
New Prices by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs were effective 1st February 2020.
Where can I pay to Apply for Ghana Passport Online?
There are a lot of options when it comes to paying for the form. You can use the MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash or Vodafone Cash. Also you can find the partner banks too and their mode of payment.
|Bank||Available Purchase Channels|
|EcoBank Ghana||Branches nationwide, Airtel Money, VISA & MasterCard, MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash and finally Vodafone Cash.|
|GCB Bank||Branches nationwide, Vodafone Cash.|
|Zenith Bank Ghana||Branches nationwide, Airtel Money, MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash, Vodafone Cash and VISA & MasterCard.|
How to Pay for Ghana Passport Online using Mobile Money
If you would want to use Mobile Money to pay for the Passport online:
- Register a new account on the portal by visiting: https://passport.mfa.gov.gh
- And Click on Applications
- Click New Application
- When Payment comes, choose EcoBank, GCB Bank or Zenith Bank
- After that, choose MTN Mobile Money or your preferred network
- Enter your number and confirm the payment via your phone
- The Portal will now allow you to continue the application process
Ghana Passport Application Requirements
First Time Applicants
- Birth Certificate (Proof of Ghanaian citizenship).
- Documents to support Identity such as Driver’s Licence, National ID card
- Proof of Profession (An introductory letter from the applicant’s employer that is if the applicant is currently employed or a work ID card that bears the applicant’s name, organisation’s name and position. (A student ID if the applicant is currently in school. And then also homemakers/housewives and applicants that are unemployed and those in the non-formal sector of employment like mechanics, hairdressers seamstresses traders and others do not need proof. However registered business owners and self-employed applicants must produce their business registration certificate as proof.)
Renewing Applicants (Biometric)
- First page and bio-data page with picture and information page
- Valid Visa if the applicant has any in Old Passport
- Last page
- And Proof of Profession if changed
Black Book Passports Renewal
- First page (Coat of Arms and Director’s signature)
- In addition, Biodata page with picture and information
- Valid Visa if applicant has any in Old Passport
- Profession page
- Finally Proof of Profession if changed
- Police Report
- Proof of Identity
- Also with Birth Certificate
- Old damaged passport
- And Affidavit
Change of Name
- Marriage/Divorce Certificate
- And also a Gazette
Applicants Below 18
- Birth certificate
- Also with Parents or Guardians ID
Information Worth Mentioning
If you have all the correct documentation that you are supposed to have ready, you upload your information on the online passport application, have paid your processing fees and there is nothing wrong with your supporting documentation then it is expected that you get your new passport in 10 to 30 days.
Also, remember online applications are processed at the Accra PAC only.